Monday, March 5, 2012

Finding My Topic- Fast Paced Cartoons

I thought that it would be interesting to look into cartoons and examine the influential aspect of them on our children's lives. I wasn't sure exactly what type of cartoon I was going to really look at. When we were kids many of us watched cartoons. For me, cartoons meant a Saturday morning, sitting on the couch with a bowl of cereal. I'm sure for my parents, it meant a couple of hours of freedom to not have to entertain the kids. This was once a week and I never really heard anything negative said about the cartoons that I watched. As I was thinking about this blog, I thought that it would be easy to find a topic to research about cartoons.However, because we live in a digital age, there are so many cartoons available, for all age ranges and they are available to be watched on any day at any time.

I began by just searching for articles having to do with children and the influence that cartoons play in their lives. I kept coming across the genre of fast paced cartoons. These cartoons are cartoons that the scene changes approximately ever 11 seconds. It is geared toward school aged children but are viewed by all ages. SpongeBob Square Pants is a popular fast paced cartoon. Most of us have heard of SpongeBob and many of us already have an opinion about whether or not we like him.

In my blog I want to delve deeper into the idea of fast paced cartoons and present information about them. I would like to take a look at  few clips of these cartoons as well as read articles about them. I want to form an opinion about these cartoons based on how I think they influence my child not just on how annoying or cute they can be.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, Nichole! I think it would also be interesting to compare the different types of cartoons that appeal to different age groups. For example, how is Spongebob Squarepants different from Dora the Explorer or Family Guy or South Park? How are they similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about cartoons having a specific genre aside from baby, kid, and adult. It also hasn't really occurred to me that the scenes change so much...eleven seconds isn't long at all! It makes me wonder about the influence it has on kids' attention spans. - Kelly

    ReplyDelete