Monday, March 26, 2012

Issues With the Study


So how accurate is this study of SpongeBob Square Pants? The people at Nickelodeon, of course, do not necessarily agree with what the original study was trying to prove in stating that after viewing SpongeBob Square Pants children scored significantly lower on tests demonstrating executive functions compared to those who watched a different cartoon or drew. In this article, we see the parts of the study that there are issues with. SpongeBob Square Pants is not intended for four -year old children, yet they are the ones that were tested in the study. It seems as if the study would have been more accurate had they tested the executive functions of children in the intended age range for the cartoon. Now that the children scored lower, after viewing SpongeBob, we might say it is not because of the exposure to the fast paced cartoon but rather the fact that the subjects were just too young. That being said, I have seen babies watching SpongeBob. I was at a birthday party for a two year old that had a SpongeBob theme. Is this two-year old watching SpongeBob? Yes she is and she can name all the characters in it as well. I didn’t mention to the mother some of what we I have read. I don’t think all parents want to hear that they may be exposing their children to something that can be potentially harmful, especially when they know just how much TV their children watch.  I’m sure it would not have been appreciated to bring this up at a party but I do think this is something that I will share. Whether or not they do something with the information is up to them but they won’t do anything if they are simply not informed.

Attached is an article that has a quote from Nickelodeon about the fast- paced cartoon study and a YouTube clip discussing how our bodies use executive functions and what they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment