Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What's the Attraction?


Why do shows like SpongeBob attract audiences of all ages? There was a study done to try and answer this question but a definite answer didn’t seem to be found. We know that SpongeBob holds so much power in the sense of media. You can find almost anything with SpongeBob on it. This ranges includes clothing, stuffed animals, food, video games, juices, toys and school supplies to name just a few. SpongeBob is a commonly known character and is recognizable in people of all ages. In the attached article, it discusses why SpongeBob is such an attraction. It talks about categories of shows and where SpongeBob would fit in. I find it interesting that anyone would want to watch a show like this because I personally find it quite annoying but the article delves into the content of the show and how it does include situations that effect adults like embarrassment, friendships, money problems and even pride and ambition. The article does say that more research would need to be complete in order to come to a clearer answer but that sometimes-even gender plays a part in the age of the audience. Although SpongeBob is not a cartoon that I would prefer watching, I know that my children will watch (much to my dismay) and that my husband will sometimes sit through an episode with them. I find the entire show irritating, yet there is something in it that people are drawn to. Maybe one day I will have the patience to sit through a few episodes and figure out what it is.


This is the link to the article about the study on SpongeBob and why people watch. It is from the UNM Libraries so if you click on it and it asks for your UNM Net Id and password, use the one you would use to get into MyUNM.  




4 comments:

  1. Curious. I have often thought about who comes up with these ideas and how they reach the level of popularity that they do. Does anyone remember Catdog? Seriously, the show was weird? I was obsessed with how they pooped, and my daughter had the same question. What does that say about the creators, to create a show like that? Was there some sort of underlying theme of tolerance and getting along with others?

    I don't know, but SpongeBob does make me laugh, even at my age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's cool that some people think SpongeBob is funny. I have tried and tried but just don't find anything humorous about that show. I don't remember Catdog but I know there are plenty of things that I have watched that afterwards I say to myself "Why in the heack did I watch that whole thing?" For me this goes into reality shows as well and after I watch I say there is an hour of my life I will never get back. Often the following week, there I am again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Nichole. I don't really get the attraction of it either. Why do you think it attracts so many viewers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I think there is a certain level of humor in the show I just don't find it funny. I see my kids and I listen to see what they think is funny and I understand it but I don't agree. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

    ReplyDelete