Monday, April 30, 2012

Finishing Up


As I wrap up my blog, I wanted to mention a few things that I think are important to keep in mind regarding children and cartoons. As I read and studied for this blog I realized that I, as a parent, wasn’t as concerned about pacing, setting or even violence in the cartoons that my children watched. Although these three things do play an important role in what I allow my children to watch, what I feel is the MOST important thing is HOW MUCH and HOW OFTEN they watch. I feel this is by far the most important aspect of television in my household. I know that my child can sit there and watch show after show if I let him. It is even worse if his sister is there to keep him company. This can be a show that he has seen over and over but it doesn’t matter. I know that we have to limit the amount of television that is watched and after a show (recorded on the DVR) we go in and tell him that it’s time to turn it off. I try to get my kids riding bikes, helping in the garden, jumping on the trampoline, and playing basketball. The best way for them to be excited about these activities is for me to do it with them. I can see why many parents let their children watch so much TV. It’s easier. It is a free babysitter and we know this because statistics prove that children are watching more TV at a younger age. I know that many parents are busy; working, housekeeping, raising other kids, cooking, and even going to school and this makes it difficult to have the time to do different activities with their kids.

I have enjoyed reading about children’s cartoons and I am glad I have a better understanding of the issues that surround them. I think it is time for me to be more involved in what my children are viewing and make decisions that are beneficial for them, not convenient for me.

Attached are a couple of articles mentioning important aspects of television watching.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post about TV watching. I think you're doing it right - good for you. Just FYI, since I have Netflix, I really don't watch regular TV at all anymore. And it's easier to turn off... ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I don't have Netflix, nor do I get cable. I get more Spanish channels than English channels, and my TV is rarely on. Works like a charm! - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have Netflix and I have DVR. It's easy to monitor what the kids watch because I make the timers list on the DVR and I make the queue in Netflix. But I agree with Kelly, the best thing to do is not even turn the TV on. About a month ago our bulb went out on our TV and we were without for about a week. The kids knew that we didn't have TV so they didn't bother. It was nice to not even think about it and it was great that they found stuff to occupy their time.

    ReplyDelete